Saturday, June 18, 2011

Flying with Children

I used to have a multi-page guide with tips on how to fly with children. Anyone seen it? I don't usually lose track of things like that. It's bothering me that I can't find it.

It's actually somewhat outdated because I wrote it before security was as tight as it is now and when there were no changing tables in airport bathrooms. But, I think some of the overall themes would still apply.

My biggest piece of advise is to stay calm. A lot of people are anxious at the airport and on planes. It might be fear of flying or the stress of travel or concern about the destination. But, any parent knows that their child picks up on their mood. If you are anxious or worried, your child will be scared. He or she will only understand that something is wrong. Travel should be exciting and fun. Take note of your mood and lighten it. Enjoy the adventure and share that pleasure with your child. Everyone will have a better trip.

(This is when Rachel would start to point out all the times I have not done that. I think I get it right more often than not, but the failures stand out and Rachel's got a list of them. When she brings it up I have to sigh, admit the mistake, say I'll do better, and remind her to do as I say and not as I do.)

Packing for your trip is another key preparation piece. You want to pack everything you need, but also pack light enough that you don't strain yourself dragging it all around the airport. Take some time to think about what you need on the plane and what you can check. And pack your stuff in a carry on that's easy to carry. (Backpacks are good.) And pack things in the order you'll need them. If you can, bundle them in groups by purpose - the diaper changing stuff together, the toys together, etc.

Pack ziplock bags for wet clothes and dirty toys. You can keep these things separated from your clean stuff until you arrive at your destination. I also suggest packing a clean shirt for mom and maybe for dad too. You'll be happier if you are comfortable and we all know there are a dozen ways for kids to make their parents wet, dirty, or sticky.

When I've flown with my daughters, I've always gotten them tickets. I know that you can bring a baby on your lap and save the money, but I've never done it that way. Anyone who knows me know that the extra cost is not an easy choice, but it's what I've done because I can't see managing all the things I need and want in the space of one seat - and with a baby on my lap.

I bring the infant seat on the plane and 9 out of 10 times, I've managed to strap them into their seat and having a comfortably sleeping baby for the whole flight. It's like being on a long car ride and they fall asleep from the motion and the sound. I don't think that would happen in my arms with me moving around and it also frees me up to enjoy the flight reading.

The FAA also recommends having babies strapped in their car seats until they are old enough to sit up in a regular seat with a seat belt. Turbulence comes on suddenly and I've dropped all sorts of things when a plane has bumped unexpectedly. There are scary videos of babies flying out of their parents arms and bouncing around the plane during turbulence. If you wouldn't let your baby bounce around in a car, why let them on a plane?

I think the thing parents worry about most when they fly with a baby or toddler is the diaper situation. It's not easy to change children in awkward settings, but it happens and we all get through it. If possible, change the baby at the airport where there's a nice big bathroom with a nice big changing table. If you have to change a baby on the plane follow these simple steps:
  • Smile and pretend you are on Fear Factor and that you will win money if you accomplish this.
  • Gather one clean diaper, the wipes, one zip lock bag, and sanitizer
  • Take off as much of the baby's clothes as possible while still in the seat area. You don't have a lot of space, but it's still more than you'll have in the bathroom.
  • Take the baby, the diaper, wipes, and sanitizer to the bathroom and look for a changing table. If there is one in there, you lucked out. Nice work.
  • If there is no changing table you have two choices. You can sit on the toilet and lay the baby on your lap while changing her. This works, but use wipes and paper towels to protect your pants and keep one hand on the baby since your lap is probably not really flat or equipped with sides to keep her from rolling off. Second option is to change the baby with one hand while you hold her under her arms with your other hand. I prefer this method and practiced at home before each flight. It's actually pretty slick once you get the hang of it. (This method can also be used in the future when you are out someplace and the changing table is gross.)
  • Use the zip lock bag for the dirty diaper and wipes. No reason to leave a super stinky for everyone else to experience after you leave the bathroom.
When you fly with older children, there's not nearly as much to manage. The keeping clam part still applies, but you can communicate and be honest about what's going on if a flight is delayed or something unexpected happens. Everything gets easier with communication.

When you fly with children of any age, I suggest bringing snacks. I think it's a given for parents with toddlers - you get used to taking snacks every place. But older kids will get hungry on long flights and if you are delayed, a snack sure makes the time pass more easily.

Encourage children to help choose what to pack for the plane and it's nice if they can each have their own carry on bag with their toys, stuffed animal, and snack. (And a change of clothes is always a good idea.) Help children pick things they can use on the plane and things that don't have too many small pieces to drop or lose. I always pack one or two new toys to have on the plane too. Something they can do on the plane like draw or read or play cards or silly putty. Toys with magnets are good since it's harder to lose the pieces. Sometimes I even wrap it up like a real present. It's fun to open something and get the full surprise experience.

I'm going to keep looking for my original instructions and maybe I'll add some tips when I see what else I had on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment