Sunday, December 20, 2009

Morning Sickness Remedies

During both my pregnancies I was really nauseous for about 8 months. I threw up regularly - often several times a day. I developed a habit of carrying plastic zip lock bags in my pockets and developed a lot of skill at pulling them out and vomiting quickly without getting any on my clothes.

One source of my nausea seemed to be my prenatal vitamins. I tried dozens of brands and they all made me nauseous. I found it helpful to take the vitamin when I was already in bed, almost asleep. That way it was working while I was asleep and less aware of they yucky feeling in my belly. With Kate I just had to stop taking them 1/2 way through the pregnancy.


I tried a couple different prescription medications that were supposed to curb the nausea. The both left me feeling worse. Still nauseous with a list of other complaints as long as my arm.

Following is a list of things I did to help with Morning Sickness (at any time of day). I found that sometimes one would work for a few days and then another for the next few days. Another week something that didn't work before would work at a different time. Bottom line - you may want to try a remedy more than once as the weeks go by. Good luck!

- The Liquid from a Can of Peaches in Heavy Syrup Just drain the liquid into a plastic container and keep it in the fridge. When you feel nauseous, take a spoonful and try to swallow it in a gulp, not sips. It will stay fresh a few days.

- Weak Ginger Tea at Room Temperature

- Oyster Crackers, try letting them dissolve on your tongue

- Preggie Pops, these are lollipops that help with morning sickness. You can find them at http://www.onestepahead.com/ which is also a great web site for many other products.

- Lemon, You can sniff a fresh lemon or lick fresh lemon slices. You also can try sliced fresh lemon in room temperature water.

- Dry Cereal, Especially slightly sweet children's cereal that is vitamin fortified. I suggest Corn Pops and Fruit Loops.

No comments:

Post a Comment