Thursday, December 24, 2009

When Bad Days Turn Good

Sometimes being a mom is tough. Sometimes you work all day and when you come home people are grumpy and whining and don't do quiet what you want. And then, on those days, sometimes, you end up sitting on the stool in the kitchen crying when you are supposed to be making dinner.

(I know that sounds sort of dramatic, but that parts not really a big deal - minor set back. You just need it to set the scene for what comes next.)

My charming 4 1/2 year old, Kate, comes into the kitchen to see why I'm crying. She says, "Why are you sad? Did you get hurt?" I say that I'm not hurt, just having a bad time.

She climbs up on to my lap and puts her sticky little hand on my face. She said, "I know just what to do. Take a deep breath." As instructed, I do. She nods and says, "That's good. Now count to three." Again, I do as I'm told.

Then Kate smiles and says, "Do you feel better?"
And, of course I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment