Saturday, August 28, 2010

Target in my Control

My youngest daughter, Kate, started kindergarten earlier this week. On the first day of kindergarten, I took the day off work. I dropped her off and I was there to pick her up. She had a great first day of school and everything went smoothly.

Our arrangement for the year is that my dad will pick Kate up from school each day. Some days she has other activities, but most days, they'll be together for the afternoon. (Our kindergarten is only half day.) Dad picked Kate up from preschool all last year, so they are good at this routine. And they really like it. Dad is a great playmate for Kate. He loves to come up with new ideas and loves to take her to all the places that she enjoys. They go to Chicago a lot and they have fun adventures. They are both getting to have a very special experience and, rightfully so, it's the envy of many of my friends.

So, on the second day of kindergarten I'd asked Dad to send me a text message when he arrived at the school and when he actually had Kate. I knew that it wouldn't be any problem, but I was still a little anxious. New place, new routine, new parking restrictions, new time of day. I just wanted to be sure that all went according to plan.

Dad, being funny and also retired military, sent me the following text about an hour before he was scheduled to pick up Kate:
Dad: Nanny1 to boss lady; at pick up point code name Ravinia. Have doors under surveillance. Standing by.
(I thought that was hilarious and joined in, responding...)
Me: Roger that. Update as situation develops.
Dad: No change as of 10:36.
Dad: No change as of 11:21. Will move in closer to door E2 and observe.
Dad: 11:25 large group forming at E2, 11F, 2M, 3C
Dad: First group out. No joy on target yet. Mob stable.
Me: Keep a sharp eye!
Dad: On the job. Have not missed a target in years.
Dad: Target in my control!

That last line was the funniest part because, while Dad is the grown up and drives the car and pays for things, Kate is really always the one in control.

I'm lucky to have such a great dad who gives up so much of his own time to be with my children. And does so in ways that they enjoy. The memories they build together are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment