Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy Holiday

Today is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.  As with all new years, milestones, changes in the calendar, or occasions, it's a good time for reflection and resolution.  I feel like this coming year will be one of particular change.  My daughters will turn 16 and 9.  I feel like they are going to change and grow into new stages where they don't need as much from me on a day-to-day, minute-by-minute basis.  Maybe I'm just seeing them become more independent.  I'll also turn 42 in the coming year.  That's not a milestone birthday, but it seems like a time to say, "I'm in my 40s and so I'm taking stock and seeing what I want to accomplish before I'm 50."

With all that in mind, I resolve to focus in on a single idea... accountability.  I want to make double super sure that I'm holding myself accountable for my beliefs and priorities.  In the coming year I will put more emphasis on assessing myself to be sure I'm heading down paths I desire, meeting goals I've set, and living into the space I've chosen.

I also want to hold my children more accountable for their responsibilities.  Neither of them are slackers in follow through, but there's room for more.  More goal setting and more being realistic about time lines and motivation.  Both girls are great at making a plan, but also really flexible about changing the plan.  Flexibility is great.  Really great.  And useful.  But, it also allows one to opt out of the original plan.  To make it easier.  To move the deadline.  But, shouldn't there be a compelling reason to change the plan?  It's something for us to look at together in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment