Thursday, September 5, 2013

Gracious

Today is Mother's Day and my sweet daughters (with Daddy's help) gave me such lovely gifts.

Kate made me a "Momanator" which is a little buzzer that has a key on attached.  The key guides me to press the buzzer once if I want her to turn off the TV, twice for her to brush her teeth, and so on up to six to get hugs and kisses.

Other gifts include a new light fixture in my room, lavender scented candles, a Starbuck's gift card, picture frames and more.

Rachel did most of the shopping and all the wrapping.  I'm proud of her for taking on the responsibility.

As I opened my gifts and looked at my pretty girl's expectant faces, I thought about how much it means to have your gifts received graciously.  When I selects and give a gift, I'm trying to convey a message that the person or the occasion is important to me.  I want them to know that they are thought of and well known and appreciated.  A well received gift is like an acknowledgement that I've done it right.

That's why thank you notes are such a nice tradition.  I insist that my children send thank you notes.  I send thank you notes for the gifts I receive.  I love sending them in response to gifts that are touching gestures of friendship.  And, I love receiving thank you notes and knowing that my gift was received with the intention I intended.

When my daughters send thank you notes they are learning to receive gifts graciously.  They are learning to appreciate what they are given.  And, I hope, they are learning that it would be rewarding to give gifts well.  To give from the heart.  To give of themselves.

I well chosen gift keeps on giving.  It gives pleasure to the new owner, but it also gives the owner a chance to show her joy and that might be the greater gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment