Friday, May 11, 2012

Proud

Recently my grandparents, who are in their 80s, moved to live nearby. My parents moved to this area 5 years ago and now my grandparents. This summer an aunt will follow with her family and in less than a decade my family will be "from" Chicagoland instead of Nebraska. My children and their cousins will be a generation from a completely different place than the generations from which they came.

My grandparents are amazing. They are independent and resourceful and full of joy and life. They have moved near family which helps with these kinds of transitions, but it's also amazing and impressive that they made such a big move in this phase of life.

They actually lived in Chicago when they were first married. My grandfather went to Northwestern and my grandmother worked as a secretary. They have great stories about their little apartment and about living in the big city.

When I watch them prepare Shabbat dinner for four generations of their family, I'm so proud to come from people who are so strong. I'm proud of them for living admirable lives, for being role models, for showing grace in times of illness, and for starting a family that is as amazing as my family is. They taught us all the importance of supporting one another and it's that support that keeps us close and connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment