Thursday, May 10, 2012

Duck and Cover or Smile and Wave?

Sometimes I cringe or cry because one of my lovely daughters has to face something ugly, difficult, harsh, or cruel in the world.  I want to protect them and comfort them and keep them safe and happy all the time.  I want to hide them behind me and shield them from the challenges of an unfair world that might not realize - My Girls Are Special!  And, as such special girls, they shouldn't be faced with the possibility of pain.

These times are even more daunting when I see that I had a missed opportunity to head off the storm.  When I can see that my patience or blindness or trust allowed a circumstance to grow or fester, I wear the blame with a heavy, heavy heart.

I know that I can't protect them from every situation.  I know that learning about the world and growing up both come with consequences and lessons learned and that they will be better, stronger, more accomplished adults because of the challenges they conquer.

And then... today, Rachel proved again how amazing and brave and special she is.  When my she stepped boldly into that harsh light and faced her challenges head on with firm steps and one eye on the bright horizon; then I knew that the universe had ticked us into receiving a gift when we thought we were looking at a flaming bag of shit.

My first response to so many things is to duck and cover.  Rachel so readily stands at the threshold with a smile and a wave.  I'm so proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment